Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My apologies for the outrageous delay. Obviously I'm not great at writing in this regularly. Also obviously, lots has happened.

Five of my thirty students have left Mitchell, some for different cities in WI, some for different schools in Milwaukee. We gained one completely new student (he moved here from Florida, poor kid) and two transfers from the more dysfunctional sixth grade class next door. Currently, we have 27 students.

All of the Scott Walker shenanigans have effected us as well. Many teachers in Mitchell are vehemently pro-union, or at least pro-worker's rights, and have been wearing red for weeks. (I still don't know why the color of this protest is red. Is it because it's attention-grabbing? Or because it's Badger colors? Is it a state color that I just don't know about??) Mrs. Koscielak (the teacher I work with every day) has started looking for new positions in other states because the outlook is so bleak for teachers.

I've been crazy busy as a member of City Year's "CE Team" (Civic Engagement). We plan and execute volunteer days in the community and in April Mitchell will be hosting one. I'm trying really, really hard to get a school garden planted during this day but have to jump through all sorts of hoops to even get an approval. There will be more to tell later this week on that. Cross your fingers for me.

....I'm getting kicked out of my planning room for a Teacher's Aides meeting with the Principal...gulp. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment